Jump to Recipe
Fluffy, moist banana muffins studded with rich, melty dark chocolate chips. A healthy treat for breakfast or snack that will leave your tummy happy and your tastebuds wanting more.
Banana bread has got to be my favorite breakfast treat, snack, and healthy dessert. ever. Whoever first created banana bread is a genius and I am so thankful for his/her creativity and genius-ness 🙂 I must have eaten at least 50 different banana breads in my life.
I hope you don’t mind me saying banana bread even though these are muffins. Originally I was going to make them in bread form, but I realized I didn’t have a bread pan so. . . But muffins bake faster anyway so less time wasted waiting and more time spent eating! Plus they’re pre-portioned for you so hopefully you won’t eat half the pan in one sitting (guilty…).
Even if you do eat half the pan though, don’t worry. These muffins are made healthier with whole wheat flour and only 1/4 cup sugar for the whole batch, plus they’re vegan and oil-free! My boyfriend and I typically go through one batch in about 2 days, so don’t expect them to last too long.
Since switching to a plant-based diet 3 years ago, I’ve tried and failed over and over to make a vegan banana bread without oil that was still moist and fluffy, and not flat and gooey on the inside. For about the first 10 attempts I kept ending up with banana bread that was nice and brown on the outside but super gooey and under-baked on the inside. After so many failed attempts I decided to take a break from banana bread testing and just used recipes from other bloggers. But often times the oil-free recipes I found just tried to replace the oil with applesauce or extra banana, so the result was weirdly gummy and not moist and satisfying like I wanted.
But finally! It’s here!! I was so happy when I first made this recipe and it came out so moist and fluffy, I think I ate 5 in one sitting (not recommended….but delicious). These are the perfect healthy, vegan, and oil-free chocolate chip banana muffins. I hope you love them as much as I do!
Finally, if you make this recipe don’t forget to tag me in your photo on instagram @ellielikes.cooking, and comment down below if you have any questions or tweaks you’d like to suggest 🙂
Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins (Vegan & Oil-Free)
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 bananas
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup flour whole wheat, whole wheat pastry, all purpose, spelt
- 1/4 cup almond flour or another 1/4c flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1/4 cup plant-based milk (almond, soy, cashew, etc)
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Make flax egg by mixing together flaxseed and water and set aside.
- In a big bowl, mash the bananas with a fork. Set aside.
- Cream together the peanut butter and sugar.
- Mix together the remaining dry ingredients.
- Add the flax egg, vanilla, vinegar, and milk to the peanut butter/sugar mixture. Mix well, then add this to the bananas and combine.
- Add half the dry ingredients into wet and stir till almost combined. Add the remaining dry ingredients and stir till just combined. Add the chocolate chips and mix lightly, just until chocolate chips are evenly distributed.
- Bake for 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Let cool at least 20 minutes.