Oil-free yet moist, lightly sweet, and vegan, these scones are perfectly healthy for breakfast or snacking on throughout the day. Dress it up with chocolate chips, blueberries, walnuts, sesame seeds, chai spice, the options are endless!Jump to Recipe
I ate a lot of scones as a kid. It was my go-to breakfast-in-the-car (well that and pop-tarts hehe). My mom always made a huge batch of scones at the beginning of the week and froze them so my family could have scones whenever we wanted. In middle school I started helping my mom make the scones, which I thought was so fun! I remember using my hands to mix together the sticky dough and my fingers were always a mess after. They weren’t vegan, so my hands were quite buttery and eggy afterwards, which I probably wouldn’t be able to tolerate now. They made for some damn good moist & buttery scones though.
Needless to say, they weren’t exactly healthy. I’m all for treating yourself and eating what you want though, so I’m not here to preach to you about your diet. But if you want a lil’ treat without the lethargy from a sugar crash after, keep scrolling and whip up a batch of these healthy, vegan, and & oil-free scones. Perfect with a hot cup of coffee or tea, too, for an extra pick-me-up in the morning.
What’s also great about these is their versatility. You can use this basic recipe and throw in whatever you’re craving: chocolate, berries, nuts, pumpkin, chai…. For these photos I made a matcha & black sesame batch. So if you’re into that, just add about 1/4 tsp matcha and 2 tbsp black sesame seeds. I also added a little matcha vegan cream cheese frosting, just for fun. But you can also make an icing with powdered sugar + a little plant milk, or even just melted coconut butter. I think it would also be good with vegan yogurt or jam! It’s up to you really, that’s the beauty of this recipe and so many of my recipes. You can switch up the flavors and add in whatever you have on hand. Have fun with it!
Finally, if you make this recipe/have feedback, please leave a comment down below or tag me on instagram @ellielikes.cooking. I’d love to hear from you!
Healthy Vegan Scones (Oil-Free)
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup coconut cream refrigerated
- add-ins: chocolate chips, blueberries, walnuts, etc optional
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Make flax egg by combining flax and water. Let sit for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Add coconut cream in spoonfuls and mix until dough comes together. I use my hands to make one big ball of dough. *If you are using add-ins, add them in just after mixing in the coconut cream. Then combine everything into a dough ball.
- Either cut your dough into triangles (like cutting a pie), or you can pinch of a small amount of dough and roll into balls.
- Bake for 18 minutes, or until slightly golden brown on top. (Make sure the bottom isn't burning though!)