Jump to Recipe
A fluffy, moist crumb studded with sweet, juicy blueberries. Oil-free & vegan, these muffins make the perfect healthy breakfast or snack any time of day.
Have you ever had a Costco muffin? You know those overly-sweet, buttery, definitely-not-healthy-but-so-addicting ginormous muffins that come in packs of 6 or 12 even though the serving size should probably only be like 1/4 of one? My mom used to buy those for us occasionally when we were little and I thought they were the best things ever. I mean a double chocolate muffin the size of my head? What kid wouldn’t want that for breakfast? This was way before I had any notion of “health” or “healthy foods”. Of course, as soon as I started to learn about a healthy diet, the days of Costco muffin breakfasts were gone. (Also my family realized we couldn’t eat all 12 muffins before they expired.)
However, that didn’t mean that all muffins were off limits. Instead I set about making my own muffins, originally from recipes my mom had or ones I found online. In the last few years, after switching to a mostly plant-based diet, I’ve been creating my own recipes, or just throwing ingredients into a bowl and hoping for the best (usually the latter). This was one of those “throw everything together on a whim and pray it’s edible” moments. But to my happy surprise, it turned out so much better than I could have imagined!
These blueberry muffins are so fluffy and moist without any oil, butter, milk, or eggs! They almost melt in your mouth they’re so soft. They’re low in sugar and made with wholesome ingredients like whole wheat flour, almond flour, and tahini, so you can easily and guilt-freely eat 3-4 of them in one sitting 😉 I hope I’ve convinced you to try out this recipe because they are delicious! If you do recreate them please tag me in your photos on instagram @ellielikes.cooking or comment down below letting me know what you think 🙂
Vegan Blueberry Muffins
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup soy milk
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a muffin tray with muffin liners, or grease muffin tin to prevent sticking.
- Mix together flax and water and set aside.
- Combine lemon juice and soy milk and set aside. The milk will curdle as it sits but this is okay.
- In a large bowl, combine apple sauce, tahini, maple syrup, and vanilla.
- Sift whole wheat pastry flour, almond flour, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon, making sure there are no chunks of flour/baking powder.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and mix until just combined. Add in the blueberries and stir gently.
- Fill up each muffin liner about 3/4 full, keeping in mind that they will rise while they bake. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from muffin tray to a cooling rack until completely cooled.