Jump to Recipe
This vegan pasta is the perfect quick, nourishing, and delicious weeknight meal. Just 20 minutes, 8 ingredients, and 100% plant-based and gluten-free!
Pasta is the perfect meal to make when you’re short on time or just don’t feel like cooking. You can make a quick sauce in 15 minutes, or even just heat up store-bought sauce, throw in some veggies, and you’re good to go! I like making my own sauce, so I can decide what goes in it and how salty/sweet I want it to be. Many generic pasta sauces contain a lot of hidden sugars, salt, and oil, as is the case with many pre-made/packaged items. So I like to cook from scratch as much as feasibly possible.
Hands down my favorite kind of pasta is a tomato sauce pasta. I’ve never liked cream sauces much, and the basic oil-based sauce is all right, but tomato sauce is always my go-to. It’s just so satisfying but doesn’t leave me feeling heavy or food coma-y. Plus, it’s so easy to make! Just heat up some crushed tomatoes, add in some veggies/beans/tofu, throw in some herbs (parsley/oregano/Italian herb mix), simmer, and bam! Mix in some spaghetti noodles and top with vegan parm (or avocado) if you’d like, and dinner is served! Yup, it’s that easy.
To make this pasta all you need are 8 basic ingredients:
- spaghetti noodles, or any pasta shape of choice but I love noodles
- olive oil, important for developing a rich flavor, and also high in MUFAs (monounsaturated fatty acids)!
- eggplant, I think eggplant pairs so well with tomato, but if you don’t like eggplant you can replace with zucchini
- mushrooms, adds a little extra umami flavor
- crushed tomatoes, I like the texture crushed tomatoes add, but you can also use tomato sauce/puree if you like a smoother sauce
- red pepper flakes, adds a little bit of heat to the pasta, but can be omitted if you don’t like spice
I used thin spaghetti because I love thin noodles, and I was also originally going to make a Japanese-style pasta. But my love for tomato sauce got the better of me and we ended up with a very basic tomato pasta. I’m not mad though, it’s still delicious and gives me an excuse to keep making pasta hehe. Do you like thin noodles? Or maybe you prefer a different pasta like penne? Rigatoni? Fettuccini? Let me know down below!
If you do try out this pasta, please don’t forget to tag me in your recreations on instagram @ellielikes.cooking and/or leave a comment down below and let me know what you think! I hope you find it as easy and satisfying as I did 🙂 Happy cooking!
Eggplant & Mushroom Tomato Sauce Pasta
- 8 oz spaghetti noodles
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 eggplant chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp salt adjust to taste
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- Prepare pasta according to package directions. Rinse with cold water when done to prevent further cooking.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a pan over medium heat. When hot, add onion and garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes, until onions turn translucent.
- Add in remaining olive oil, eggplant, and mushrooms and cook for a couple minutes, until eggplant softens.
- Add crushed tomatoes, salt, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil then lower to a simmer. Simmer for at least 10 minutes and up to one hour.
Save for later!