This ketchup sauce tofu is vegan, gluten-free, easy to make, and ready in under 30 minutes! Great for a quick weeknight meal.
Calling all ketchup lovers! This crispy air-fried tofu covered in a tomatoey ketchup & onion sauce needs to be in your life (and your belly). Seriously, ketchup and onion belong together. Also, ketchup is one of the best condiments in the world. Put it on eggs, mac & cheese, potatoes, TOFU. Too good. Whoever invented ketchup, thank you, you are a genius.
Now onto the recipe. Let me preface this by saying that if you are one of those people who (for some strange and incomprehensible reason) doesn’t like tofu to begin with, this may not be the recipe for you. The tofu itself still tastes like tofu (a.k.a. plain). But when eaten with the sauce, you get the chewy texture of tofu and the ketchup onion-y flavor of the sauce all in one. I think that if you were to let the tofu marinate in the sauce overnight, it would be even better. But that would require planning beforehand to not eat it right after it’s made. Either way, it’s still a delicious way to eat tofu, in my opinion.
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE KETCHUP SAUCE TOFU
This simple tofu recipe requires just 7 ingredients:
- firm tofu: press the tofu or freeze and thaw for an extra meaty texture
- ketchup: some ketchups are sweeter than others, so you may want to add a little sugar if your sauce is overly tangy and not sweet enough
- apple cider vinegar: sub with lemon or lime juice if needed
- soy sauce
- olive oil
The great thing about this recipe is that it really doesn’t require much effort. The hardest part is probably chopping the onions without crying. (I always cry.) I air-fry my tofu first, since I like the crispy edges of air-fried tofu. But you can also pan fry or bake if you prefer. Or just skip the cooking all together because tofu can also be eaten straight from the package. It really depends on your preference for texture.
After that it’s just making the sauce, which is also super simple. Once you’ve chopped your onions and garlic, just throw everything in a pot and simmer over the stove until the onions are cooked and translucent. You can add extra ketchup if you prefer a runnier sauce, but I like getting lots of onions in each bite. Once your sauce is cooked, that’s it! Coat the tofu and serve, or let the tofu marinate in the sauce until you’re ready to eat.
Check out these other healthy tofu dishes!
- Baked Miso Tofu
- Sesame Crusted Tofu
- Broccoli Tofu Mini Quiche
- Miso Dengaku Tofu Katsu
- Spicy Miso Eggplant Tofu
I hope you like this ketchup sauce as much as I do! If you do try it out, don’t forget to tag me in your recreations on instagram @ellielikes.cooking, and leave a comment down below. I’m always open to feedback and love hearing from you! Happy cooking 🙂
Easy Ketchup Sauce Tofu (Vegan, Gluten-Free)
- 1 16 oz block firm tofu
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp water
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp soy sauce, or tamari if gluten-free
- 1/2 tsp mustard
- dash of pepper
- Cut tofu into cubes or triangles. Brush with oil and air fry at 350°F for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce by combining remaining ingredients in a saucepan. Simmer over medium heat until onions are translucent, stirring constantly.
- Coat tofu in sauce. Serve immediately or let tofu marinate in sauce until ready to eat.
Disclosure: This page may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, but the price remains the same to you. Thank you for supporting Ellie Likes Cooking!
Save for later!