Jump to Recipe
This peanut curry contains the perfect blend of creamy, nutty, spicy, and sweet, without any animal products or oil. One pot, 13 ingredients, and 30 minutes is all you need!
Whether it’s hold or cold where you are, I recommend you make this curry. It’s delicious. I mean you can’t go wrong with peanut butter, can you? (Unless you’re allergic, in which case you can probably make this with another nut or seed butter, depending on which ones you like.) The peanut butter makes it all creamy and nutty, while the sweet potato adds sweetness to balance out the spice of the curry, and beans provide the extra protein + fiber, plus a few more veggies cause #health.
This peanut curry requires just 13 plant-based ingredients:
- sweet potato
- beans: chickpeas, lentils, or even tofu would be good
- veggie broth
- cashew milk
- peanut butter
- curry powder
Honestly when I threw this together I didn’t think it’d be anything this amazing. It doesn’t require any complicated ingredients, and just a few spices that are already lying around in your pantry. I added cashew milk for a little extra creaminess, but feel free to replace it with whatever plant-based milk you have on hand (or water if you don’t have any milk). You can also change up the veggies to suit what you have — this recipe is pretty versatile — but I would suggest keeping the garlic and onions at least, as those create a nice base flavor for the curry. Zucchini and carrots would probably be really good in this too — I just couldn’t fit them in the pot lol.
Check out these other plant-based curry recipes!
If you try out this recipe, don’t forget to tag me in your photos on instagram @ellielikes.cooking and/or leave a comment down below and let me know how you liked it! I love seeing your tasty recreations 🙂 Happy cooking!
Vegan Peanut Curry
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 small onion chopped
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 1/2 head of broccoli cut into florets
- 1/2 cup purple cabbage sliced
- 1 sweet potato* cubed
- 1 cup cooked beans (garbanzo, black beans, lentils, etc.)
- 1 cup water or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup cashew milk
- 3 tbsp peanut butter
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes optional for spice
- cilantro to garnish
- Add garlic, onions, celery, and sweet potato (see note above about cooking sweet potato) to a pot and cook until onions are translucent, or until sweet potato starts to get soft. Add a splash of water if needed so veggies don’t stick to the pan.
- Add paprika, curry powder, salt, and pepper and stir to combine. Add water as needed.
- Add broccoli, cabbage, sweet potato (if not already added), and water. Simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add peanut butter, ketchup, beans, and cashew milk. Stir until the peanut butter is evenly mixed with the liquid and veggies. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, making sure not to overcook the broccoli or sweet potatoes.
- Garnish with cilantro and enjoy! Also recommend serving with fresh warm rice or bread 🙂
Save for later!