Learn how to make the easiest vegan caramel! Perfect for drizzling over cakes, ice cream, cookies, candy bars…the possibilties are endless.
All you need for this vegan caramel are two basic ingredients!
- sugar ⟶ I usually use granulated white sugar, but you can use brown sugar for a deeper flavor (your caramel will be more brown this way).
- coconut cream ⟶ Chill your can of coconut cream/milk the night before so it’s easy to scoop out the cream.
- vanilla extract and salt ⟶ These are optional but they do add a little extra flavor.
Can I use this caramel sauce for caramel apples?
No, this caramel is not thick enough for caramel apples. It’s great for dipping though!
How long does homemade caramel last?
This caramel will last about a week in a jar in the fridge. You can also store the caramel in the freezer for 2-3 months.
Tips for Success
Use room temperature coconut cream! ⟶ You want to chill the can of coconut cream/milk the night before so it’s easy to scoop out, but when you add it to the caramel it will splatter more the colder it is. So chill the can the night before, scoop out the coconut cream, and let it sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes before making the caramel.
Chill in the fridge to thicken ⟶ The caramel will be runny when you make it, but it thickens as it cools. It may not be stirrable directly from the fridge, so heat it briefly in the microwave (just 5-10 seconds depending on the amount) to thin.
Feel free to double the recipe if you want more caramel! ⟶ A lot of my recipes are small batch since it’s usually just my boyfriend and me eating them. But you can easily double or triple the caramel if you want.
How to use homemade caramel sauce
- in caramel apple crumb cake
- in snickers chia pudding
- in caramel ice cream bars
- drizzled over apple cake
- in homemade candy bars
- drizzled over ice cream
- drizzled over popcorn
- drizzled over pancakes
- as a dip for apples
- or eaten by the spoonful 😉
If you try out this vegan caramel sauce, don’t forget to leave a comment/rating down below and tag me in your photos on instagram @ellielikes.cooking. I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
2 Ingredient Vegan Caramel (Small Batch)
- 6 tbsp sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp water
- ½ cup
- ½ tsp vanilla extract optional
- pinch of salt optional
For a thick caramel
- 2 tbsp nut/seed butter** optional
- Scoop out the coconut cream from your chilled can of coconut cream (or coconut milk) and let it sit at room temp for 10 minutes. The colder the coconut cream is, the more it will splatter when added to the caramel.
- Add sugar and water to a saucepan over low heat. Stir to dissolve the sugar, then turn heat up to medium. Simmer the sugar undisturbed to caramelize (about 5 minutes), keeping a close eye on it as it burns easily. You can swirl the pan occasionally if you're worried about it burning, but do not stir or the sugar will crystallize.
- Once the sugar turns amber, turn down the heat and add coconut cream (be careful of splashing). Stir constantly until completely dissolved and no clumps of sugar are left.
- Turn heat back up to simmer the caramel, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract and salt (if using). Cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a jar and cool to room temperature. Cover and store in the fridge (it will thicken more in the fridge).
*Disclosure: This page may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, but the price remains the same to you. Thank you for supporting Ellie Likes Cooking!
Save for later!