This vegan chili is loaded with black beans and veggies, simmered in a spicy tomato sauce until thick and creamy. Warm, hearty, perfectly spiced comfort food to keep you cozy and warm during the colder months.
I’ve been trying to perfect my vegan chili for a while now, but every time I make it I never seem to add enough spices or salt (a side effect of eyeballing my ingredients). When I made this chili, I honestly didn’t expect it to be so flavorful. I did keep adding chili powder though in the hopes that it would actually have a chili flavor this time. And it worked!!
I also decided to throw in some nooch this time, because who doesn’t love nutritional yeast? It adds a bit of a cheesy, creamy-like flavor and, depending on the brand you buy, can also be fortified with some great vitamins and minerals (like B12!!). If you don’t have any nutritional yeast then you can omit it and I’m sure it will still taste good – however, if you’re vegan/cook a lot of vegan food, you should definitely think about buying some nooch! It goes great in cheeze sauces and complements tomato flavors really well too!
I added bell pepper and zucchini to this chili because I had a lot of them, but feel free to omit or add in any other veg you have! I think mushrooms would also be really good in this 🙂 Also, feel free to omit the vegan sausage, or use crumbled tofu or tempeh. You may also switch up the beans or add in pinto beans if you’d like. I recommend serving this chili with rice or cornbread (or both 🙂 and some avocado/guac to complete the meal.
Check out these other hearty dishes!
If you try out this recipe, don’t forget to tag me in your photos on instagram @ellielikes.cooking and/or leave a comment down below and let me know how you liked it! I love seeing all of your tasty recreations 🙂 Happy cooking!
Vegan Black Bean Chili
- 1 onion diced
- 1 carrot sliced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 1 zucchini diced
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp sweetener of choice (maple syrup, sugar, etc.)
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2-3 cups vegetable stock depending on how thick you want it
- 2 cans black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- handful of cilantro chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Over medium high heat, add onion, carrots, and garlic to a pot and cook (either with oil or water) until the onions become translucent.
- Add zucchini and bell pepper and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in black beans, tomato paste, tomato sauce, sweetener, spices, and vegetable stock. Bring everything to a boil and then cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes until everything is cooked and thickened.
- Finally, add in lemon juice, cilantro, and salt/pepper to taste.
Save for later!