Learn how to make natto gohan, a Japanese breakfast staple. Simply seasoned with soy sauce and green onions for a quick and easy meal!
If this is your first encounter with natto, be sure to check out my Beginner’s Guide to Natto to learn about what it is, how it’s made, and how to eat it.
More Ways to Eat Natto (coming soon!)
- Natto Salad with Soft Tofu and Cucumber
- Natto with Kimchi and Enoki Mushrooms
- Natto Negi Maki
If you try out this natto gohan, don’t forget to leave a comment/rating down below and tag me in your photos on instagram @ellielikes.cooking. I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Natto Gohan (Natto over Rice) 納豆ご飯
- 1 packet natto defrosted
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 small green onion chopped
- small amount of karashi (Japanese mustard) optional
- 1 serving plain steamed rice
- Add natto to a bowl and use chopsticks to stir the natto until it becomes very stringy. The more you stir, the more flavorful the natto will be. (The optimal amount of stirring is said to be about 400 times, but your arm will get very tired. I aim for about 20-50 times.)
- Add soy sauce and stir a few more times.
- Finally, add green onions and karashi (if using) and stir a few times to distribute.
- Add steamed rice to a bowl and place natto on top.
*Disclosure: This page may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, but the price remains the same to you. Thank you for supporting Ellie Likes Cooking!
Save for later!