If you love potatoes and spicy food, make these gochujang potatoes! Soft, buttery potatoes braised in a sweet & spicy gochujang sauce.
These gochujang potatoes are the perfect side dish for spicy food lovers. They get a double punch from gochujang (Korean chili paste) and gochugaru (Korean chili flakes). If you’re sensitive to spice, you may want to skip this recipe and try my sesame miso roasted potatoes instead. But if you like spice as much as I do, you’ll love these potatoes!
Gochujang Potatoes FAQ
What kind of potatoes should I use?
I used regular ol’ russet potatoes since they’re the most affordable, but they are a starchy potato so they don’t crisp up as well. Ideally, you should choose an all purpose potato such as Yukon Gold, or a waxy potato such as red skin, fingerling, or new potatoes.
Can I make this in an Instant Pot?
Yes! However, cook time will differ for different sizes and varieties of potatoes. I recommend cooking for 3 minutes on high pressure, quick release, then sauté if further cooking is needed.
Tips for Perfect Potatoes
Soak potatoes ⟶ Soak the chopped potatoes in a bowl of cold water for at least 10 minutes. This helps to remove excess starch, so the potatoes will be crispier and not mushy.
Dry potatoes ⟶ After soaking, drain and rinse the potatoes. Use a towel to thoroughly dry the potatoes. If they’re wet they won’t crisp and brown on the edges.
Love gochujang? Try these recipes too!
- Sticky Gochujang Cauliflower
- Spicy Bean Sprout Miso Soup
- Vegan Bibimbap with Spicy Tempeh
- Spicy Edamame Noodles
- One Pot Spicy Miso Ramen
If you try out these gochujang potatoes, don’t forget to leave a comment/rating down below and tag me in your photos on instagram @ellielikes.cooking. I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 lb potatoes cut into 1-inch cubes
- 5 oz cabbage chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- green onions
- toasted sesame seeds
- sesame oil
- Add chopped potatoes to a bowl of water and soak for 10 minutes. Drain and pat the potatoes dry.
- Mix sauce ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add potatoes and cook undisturbed until browned on the bottom. Flip potatoes and brown the other side.
- Add garlic and cabbage and cook 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Stir in sauce. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium low. Cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Turn off heat and garnish with green onions, sesame seeds, and a drizzle of sesame oil.
Nutrition per serving: 230 kcal / 6.5g fat / 1g sat fat / 40g carbs / 4.5g fiber / 9g sugar / 5g protein / 481mg sodiumHide
*Disclosure: This page may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, but the price remains the same to you. Thank you for supporting Ellie Likes Cooking!
Save for later!