Tempeh marinated in a savory peanut sauce and cooked to crispy, hearty perfection. Vegan, 7 ingredients, and great in salads, wraps, and bowls!
Let’s talk about tempeh. I post a lot of tofu and lentils/bean-based recipes here, but I realized I haven’t been giving tempeh the love it deserves. That’s because I wasn’t a huge tempeh fan until recently. When I first tasted it, I thought it was bitter, dry, and really dense, and I had no idea how to cook with it! I would just throw it into stir fries hoping it would absorb the flavors just like that, but obviously it requires a little more patience and effort (but just a little). The key to great-tasting tempeh? Marinate! All you need is a tasty sauce and the forethought the plan ahead. Then you’ll realize that tempeh is actually a delicious, hearty protein that you absolutely need in your weekly meals!
This tasty tempeh dish is made with just 7 ingredients:
- Tempeh ⟶ I recommend steaming or simmering the tempeh first to remove any bitterness and soften the tempeh. This creates a moist tempeh that easily soaks up flavor.
- Peanut Butter ⟶ I used unsweetened and unsalted. If yours is sweetened, you may want to add more lime juice to balance out the sweetness. If your peanut butter is salted, start with 1 tsp of soy sauce and adjust to taste.
- Hoisin Sauce ⟶ a thick and flavorful sweet & salty sauce common in Chinese cuisine
- GF OPTION: typically contains wheat but many brands now make gluten-free sauces, so check the ingredients list and look for the “gluten-free” label
- Soy Sauce ⟶ adds salty, umami flavor
- GF OPTION: tamari
- Lime Juice ⟶ adds a fresh, tangy flavor to balance out the sweet and salty
- Garlic Powder ⟶ or use minced fresh garlic, 1 large clove or 2 small
- Ground Ginger ⟶ or use minced or grated fresh ginger, about a ½” piece
HOW TO SERVE
This marinated tempeh is a great protein-packed main dish. To round out your meal, serve it with a grain (rice, noodles, bread, etc.) and some veggies.
Here are some of my favorite ways to serve this peanut tempeh:
- with rice and sautéed/steamed/grilled veggies
- in spring rolls
- on top of salads (like somen salad!)
- on ramen
- in wraps with whole grain tortillas and fresh or grilled veggies
- in buddha bowls with rice/quinoa, fresh or cooked veggies, avocado, and a tasty sauce
HELPFUL COOKING TOOLS
- Air Fryer ⟶ or you can bake them in the oven, but an air fryer is great for smaller amounts and quicker cooking time!
Check out these other tempeh recipes!
And more air-fryer meals!
I hope I’ve inspired you to make this marinated hoisin peanut tempeh! If you try it out, don’t forget to tag me in your photos on instagram @ellielikes.cooking, leave a comment/rating down below, and let me know how you liked it! I love seeing all of your tasty recreations 🙂 Happy cooking ♡
*Recipe updated 11/13/2020.
Hoisin Peanut Tempeh
- Fill a saucepan with an inch of water and bring to a boil. Add tempeh and reduce heat to simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes to remove any bitterness and soften the tempeh.
- Rinse and dry the tempeh, then cut into desired shape.
- Mix together remaining ingredients. Add extra water as needed to thin the sauce for marinating.
- Place tempeh in a container or zip lock bag and pour marinade over. Mix the tempeh around so all sides get coated in sauce. Marinate for 2-3 hours or overnight.
- AIR FRYER: Air-fry at 350°F for 10-12 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
- OVEN: Bake at 375°F for 25-30 minutes.
- Brush on any remaining marinade and serve.
Disclosure: This page may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, but the price remains the same to you. Thank you for supporting Ellie Likes Cooking!
Save for later!