This vegan mac and cheese is thick, creamy, and so satisfying! Made with white beans and cashews for a plant protein-packed meal.
I’ve been making this vegan mac and cheese for the past couple years and it never disappoints! It’s hearty, comforting, and perfect for the cozy fall/winter season. Plus it’s easy to make, and you can keep extra sauce in the fridge for quick weeknight meals.
Make It a Complete Meal!
The mac and cheese as is has fiber-rich carbs, healthy fats, and plant protein. But to round out your meal I suggest adding in some extra veggies and protein. I like to throw in some broccoli and make mac and “trees”. Just add chopped broccoli in the last minute or two of cooking the pasta. This mac and cheese also pairs wonderfully with some baked tofu or BBQ tempeh for extra protein. You can also opt for a bean-based pasta, or use half regular pasta and half bean pasta if you don’t like the texture.
Vegan Mac and Cheese FAQ
Is this mac and cheese gluten-free?
The “cheese” sauce is naturally vegan and gluten-free! Just use a gluten-free pasta (I like using chickpea/lentil-based pastas for extra protein, or you can use half chickpea pasta, half rice pasta or whatever gluten-free pasta you like).
Can I make it nut-free?
Yes! You can swap the cashews for raw sunflower seeds.
What can I do with leftover cheese sauce?
If you don’t need to make a big batch of pasta, you can just make half the sauce. I usually just cook for two, but I like to make a full batch of sauce so I can quickly throw together some mac and cheese later in the week. You can also use the sauce as a dip for veggies or chips, add to casseroles, or use in tofu scramble to make it extra creamy.
How long does the sauce last?
The sauce lasts about a week in the fridge, stored in an airtight container.
More Hearty & Cozy Vegan Mains!
If you make this white bean mac and cheese, don’t forget to leave a comment/rating down below and tag me in your photos on instagram @ellielikes.cooking. I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Vegan White Bean Mac and Cheese
- 1 lb pasta of choice
- 2 small carrots (or 1 large) chopped
- ½ yellow onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup cashews soaked in hot water for 10 minutes
- 1 cup white beans drained and rinsed
- ½ cup
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 1-2 tbsp lemon juice adjust to taste
- ¾ tsp salt adjust to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Steam carrots, onions, and garlic until fork tender. You can do this on the stove or in the microwave (I use a Lekue*). It will take about 3 minutes in the microwave and 8-10 minutes on the stove.
- Add all ingredients, except pasta, to a blender and blend until smooth. Taste and add more lemon juice/salt/pepper as desired.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Drain the water from the pasta (keep pasta in the pot) and pour in cheese sauce. Mix until pasta is evenly coated. If your sauce is too thin, turn the stove on medium heat and cook to reduce the sauce, stirring constantly. The sauce will thicken more as the pasta cools, so don't reduce the sauce too much.
Nutrition per serving: 387 kcal | 10g fat | 1.7g sat fat | 59g carb | 6g fiber | 4g sugar | 15g protein | 325mg sodiumHide
*Disclosure: This page may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, but the price remains the same to you. Thank you for supporting Ellie Likes Cooking!
Save for later!