Creamy peanut butter meets white miso in a rich, nutty umami broth filled with fresh, hearty veggies and lentils. This healthy, flavor-packed soup makes your taste buds dance and leaves you wanting more.
Soup and soup noodles are a staple during the colder months. Just like a hot cup of coffee or hot chocolate, hot soup warms you up from the inside out and at least momentarily pauses the shivering. I like making all kinds of hot soups and stews like chili, curry, jambalaya (coming soon!), and miso soup. While traditional Japanese miso soup is also delicious, sometimes you want something a little more filling and hearty. Enter this peanut miso soup.
The peanut butter in this soup brings it all together. It adds a creaminess and nutty flavor that balances perfectly with white miso, which adds a touch of sweetness that only enhances the peanut flavor. The lentils make the soup heartier and more filling, while the assortment of veggies provide various micronutrients and fiber to keep your body and gut happy.
This soup can be served as a side dish but can also easily be an entree. Just add some rice or noodles (noodles are my fave) for those complex carbs and dinner is served!
This peanut miso soup requires just 9 simple plant-based ingredients:
- veggies of choice: I used carrots, broccoli, bell pepper, zucchini, and spinach, but feel free to omit some/add other veggies you have in your fridge
- green onion
- kombu dashi powder: usually found at Asian grocers, but if you can’t find any then just omit
- peanut butter
- white miso: can sub red miso
- red lentils: can sub with chickpeas or tofu, but you will only need about half the water
This soup is so good I made it at least 3 times in one week because my boyfriend and I could not stop eating it! So make sure you have lots of peanut butter on hand — this soup will not last long!
Check out these other tasty soups & stews!
If you try out this recipe, don’t forget to tag me in your photos on instagram @ellielikes.cooking and/or leave a comment down below and let me know how you liked it! I love seeing your tasty recreations 🙂 You can also find me on pinterest for more yummy vegan food. Happy cooking!
Peanut Miso Soup
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 carrot sliced
- 1 cup broccoli cut into florets
- 1 bell pepper sliced
- 1 zucchini sliced
- 6 cups water
- 1 tsp kombu dashi powder*
- 1 tbsp sake
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 cup spinach
- 3 green onions chopped
- 2-3 tbsp white miso
- Add garlic, carrots, and a splash of water to a large pot over hight heat and cook for a couple minutes to soften carrots.
- Add broccoli, bell pepper, zucchini, water, dashi, sake, and mirin. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, add peanut butter and lentils and turn the heat down to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes or until the lentils are soft. Mix occasionally so the peanut butter is evenly mixed in.
- Add spinach and green onions and cover to let the spinach wilt, about 1 minute. Turn off the heat and add the miso, making sure it is completely mixed in and there aren't clumps of miso. Taste and add more miso as needed.
Save for later!